Jaipur Gate

The Jaipur Gate should be more correctly called a Naqqakhana or drum platform.  It is a reproduction of the marble and sandstone platforms from which fanfares were sounded for the deities and rulers. It was built in 1886 and carved in India for the Maharajah of Jaipur who sent it to the Colonial and Indian Exhibition in 1886.

Made in timber of Bombay teak covered with floral and geometric carving the inscriptions read:

"From the East comes light" and "Where there is truth - is victory".

It was presented to the Town Corporation by the Imperial Institute when the Museum opened in 1926.

The gate, a grade II listed building, has been dismantled for renovation for the past year.

January 2006

Renovation of the gate has now been completed and an application to change its position on the site has been passed despite the Conservation Advisory Group feeling that the present site was the most suitable.

Summer 2006

The gate is now in place and despite our reservations looks very nice indeed in its new situation

Chatri Memorial

The City has a close association with India as, during the First World War, the Indian wounded came here for recuperation.  Over 1,402,320 Indian Soldiers served in the war with 64,000 killed. There were three hospitals here at the Royal Pavilion, the Dome and York Place. The dead were buried according to religious rites. Muslims went to the Islamic Mosque in Woking and a burning 'Ghat' was high on the downs behind Patcham.

The Chatri (shrine) on this site reads:

To the memory of all Indian Soldiers who gave their lives in the service of their King Emperor in the Great War, this monument erected on the site of the funeral pyre where the Sikhs and Hindus who died in hospital in Brighton passed through the fire, is in grateful admiration and brotherly affection dedicated.

It is a beautiful and peaceful place to walk and visit.

Summer 2006

It was announced recently that some money had been raised to refurbish the memorial and surrounding ground. Despite sterling work by volunteers to keep this somewhat isolated site tidy it is in need of some more comprehensive work and HCS is glad it is to be undertaken.